Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tutorial for a Skirt

Hey there, today I have an outfit at the bottom of the post and a tutorial for the skirt you can find HERE I thought it was SO cute! you take a menswear shirt that isn't cute and turn it into an adorable skirt that definatly IS cute! so here it goes. You're going to need:
A menswear buttonup
Waistband elastic
Thread
A sewing machine (or needle)




Lay your shirt on a flat surface and cut it off at the point where you think it will be long enough for your preferences

If your skirt comes above the arms, sew the sides up so there's no puckers.
Cut a piece of elastic to fit y0ur waist and sew the ends together. Then either gather the top edge of the skirt and sew the elastic to the top or you can put pleats in the top and sew the elastic the same way.


You could do this step like me or you could put a casing around the top and thread your elastic through the casing. I just like how the wide elastic looks at the top.


Okay so you know how the front of the skirt buttons up? You're going to want to whip the two edges of the front together on the back of where it buttons up. Now if a button happens to come undone, you don't have to worry about your unmentionables showing.


Now, I decided to further trim the top of my skirt so my pocket would have been nearly hidden underneath my waistband. I undid the stiches and placed it lower on the skirt where it would be more visible.
Now enjoy your adorable skirt!
I also have an outfit for today:)


Jeans:Levis (gift) Shirt:Expressions (thrifted) Sweater:AE (thrifted) Scarf:Kohls (clearence) Shoes: J.C. Penny (gift)
If anyone would like to know how I do my "twisty" hair, or just wants to know what my voice sounds like (thats why I like seeing videos) I am going to try to upload a video tutorial I made this morning on how I do it.
Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

ShanaEmily said...

Oh Look at you!!! This is fantastic! I have seen this a couple of different places but this is so cute! I am definitely going to try this!! THANK YOU for sharing!

Shana
ColorBlind

THRIFTERS WANTED LINK UP HERE

Harija said...

love the DIY and cute outfit!
My Lyfe ; My Story

Modest Fashion Sense said...

So cute! Nice job!!

Yolanda @ Miss Refashionista said...

so cool, You're a true refashionista! :)

Under Her Wings said...

Love it! I may make one or two or three tomorrow.